Welcome to Temple Emanuel of North Jersey!
Temple Emanuel of North Jersey is a community that welcomes participants from all backgrounds and ages. Our community is the heart and soul of our congregation. We value individual spiritual growth, Jewish learning, and acting in the world to make it a better place. Our prayer services are traditional, egalitarian, and Conservative, in which Jewish men and women participate equally. We encourage interfaith families to join us and become a part of our community. Our membership includes individuals and families from Bergen and Passaic Counties, New York, and beyond.
Our synagogue is located in Franklin Lakes overlooking the beautiful Franklin Lakes Nature Preserve.
- Pre-Thanksgiving Kosher Wine Tasting – Not Just Manischewitz Friday, November 21st, 7:30 p.m. Join us for Kabbalat Shabbat and Shabbat Evening Services followed by a Wine Tasting of some very special kosher wines. Tasting notes will be provided. For flyer, click here.
- Gabbai Boot Camp Sunday, November 23rd, 7:30 pm Master the liturgy, ritual, protocol, etiquette, history, and choreography of the Shabbat and Festival Torah Service in all its detail and permutations. Post-Bar/Bat Mitzvah youth also welcome!! Classes will be held Sunday evenings. For flyer, click here.
- Hilchot Chagim Monday, November 24th, 12:30 -1:30 p.m. Join our ongoing weekly adult study program with Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser. For flyer, click here.
- First Friday Shabbat Dinner Friday, December 5th Services at 6:30 p.m. Dinner to follow. $20 per adult, $8 per child 6-13, children under 5 are free. Maximum charge per family is $55.00. Please R.S.V.P. by Wednesday, December 3rd. For flyer, click here.
“Oneg with Ora” Friday, December 12th, 7:30 p.m. Professor Ora Horn Prouser leads a study session during the Oneg Shabbat which follows the services. Innovative approaches to understanding the Bible will be presented. Next topic: Review of “In the Beginning There was Darkness: A Blind Person’s Conversations with the Bible” by John Hull. For flyer, click here.
Sundays with Sokol Sunday, December 14th, 2:00 p.m. BAR MITZVAH (1935) – A Yiddish film, with English subtitles. Light refreshments, including popcorn and ice cream, will be provided. For flyer, click here.
Celebrating a Century of Chanukah at Temple Emanuel of North Jersey Friday, December 19th, 7:30 p.m. During festive Shabbat Chanukah evening services, we will be rededicated TENJ’s Chanukah Menorah, first dedicated in 1915, now in its 100th year of service. Please come join us. Services will feature your favorite Chanukah songs. For flyer, click here.
- Sundae Saturday Saturday, December 20th, 9:30 a.m. Make your own ice cream sundaes at Kiddush. Post Bar/Bat Mitzvah students will be offered Aliyot. Kids!!! Come and celebrate with your friends. For flyer, click here.
- Second Annual “Movie Day” Thursday, December 25th, 3:00 p.m. Screening of “The Princess Bride”. Chinese Buffet will be served. Movie and a Meal… $14 per person (children 12 and under free). RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or (201) 560-0200 by December 18th. For flyer, click here.
- Prescient Parshah Series Friday, January 30th, 7:30 p.m. Speaker: To be announced… Torah Portion: Beshallach and Alan Sherman. Members of the Congregation examine lives of historically influential Jews, whose biographies parallel the content of the weekly Torah Portion. For flyer, click here.
READ OUR PUBLICATIONS
- Shabbat Program – November 21, 2014
- The eManuel – November 18, 2014
- Rosh Hashanah Bulletin 5775-2014
Rabbi Prouser’s Articles
- “Get Your Facts First,” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, September 12, 2014
- “The Heart that Feels Not Now is Dead” by by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, July 24, 2014
- “Stones with a Human Heart” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, June 19, 2014
- “Holy, Holy, Holy“ by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, Jewish Standard, May 9, 2014″
- “From Rasha, With Love” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, Jewish Standard, March 27, 2014
- An Open Letter to Shadrach Levi Mugoya by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, Jewish Standard, February 2014
- The Gettysburg Address with Haftara Trope text, as arranged by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser
Rabbi Prouser’s Blog: “Initial Instructions”
- Initial Instructions: A weekly translation celebrating the Book of Genesis - in lipogram!
A lipogram is a composition from which the writer rejects all words that contain a certain letter or letters. “Initial Instructions” renders all of Genesis, translating directly from the Hebrew, without a single use of the letter E. Be sure to subscribe on the blog to receive notification of weekly chapters!
Rabbi Prouser’s Sermons
- Remembering Gilad, Eyal, and Naftali, sermon by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, July 4, 2014
- On the Canonization of John XXIII and John Paul II”
sermon by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, May 3, 2014
- Memorial Tribute to Ariel Sharon sermon by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, January 18, 2014
TENJ in the Media
- “Original Instructions: Local Rabbi Spins Torah Using Using Orthographic Constraints” by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, October 24, 2014
- “Privacy vs. the Right to Know: Looking at Privacy, Politicians, and Power in Franklin Lakes” by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, October 17, 2014
- “Why, Then, Oh Why Can’t I?: Slichot Services in Franklin Lakes to Begin with Cabaret” by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, September 12, 2014
- “To Tell the Truth?“ by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, May 25, 2014
- Birth of Freedom: Franklin Lakes Rabbi Chants Gettysburg Address in Hebrew by Joanne Palmer, Jewish Standard, February 2014
- AMC Series as Morality Play: Emanuel Panel to Discuss ‘Walking Dead’ Issues by Joanne Palmer, Jewish Standard, November 2013
- Read about the recovery of the stained glass windows from our former home in Paterson on NorthJersey.com
- Did you miss Joe Yudin’s talk on ‘The Arab Revolution, Israel & the Peace Process: What Lies Ahead?’ Read about it in “Former Israeli Paratrooper Brings Perspective to Current Mid-East Turmoil” in the Wyckoff Patch, March 2011
Of Interest to Our Community
- PM Netanyahu’s Speech at the United Nations General Assembly, September 29, 2014
TENJ Events: Photos and Videos
- Photos from TENJFL’s Gala Honoring Rabbi Joseph and Dr. Ora Horn Prouser, June 8, 2014
- Photos from TENJ’s Purim Celebration 2014
- Photos from TENJ’s President’s Day Celebration 2014
- The Gettysburg Address with Haftara Trope video edited by Reid Paul, from TENJ’s President’s Day Celebration 2014
Interested in learning more about our community? Are you an alum of Temple Emanuel? Sign up for our e-newsletter, The eManuel. Contact the office to subscribe!