Welcome to Temple Emanuel of North Jersey!
Temple Emanuel of North Jersey is a community that welcomes participants from all backgrounds and ages. Our community is the heart and soul of our congregation. We value individual spiritual growth, Jewish learning, and acting in the world to make it a better place. Our prayer services are traditional, egalitarian, and Conservative, in which Jewish men and women participate equally. We encourage interfaith families to join us and become a part of our community. Our membership includes individuals and families from Bergen and Passaic Counties, New York, and beyond.
Our synagogue is located in Franklin Lakes overlooking the beautiful Franklin Lakes Nature Preserve.
- PURIM 5775/2015 Wednesday, March 4th, 7:00 p.m. Evening Service and Megillah Reading Original Purim paradies aplenty! Come in Costume!! For flyer, click here.
- First Friday Shabbat Dinner Friday, March 6th , Services at 6:30 p.m. Dinner to follow. $20 per adult, $8 per child 6-13, children under 5 are free. Maximum charge per family is $55.00. Please R.S.V.P. by Wednesday, March 4th. For flyer, click here.
- Hilchot Chagim Monday, March 9th, 12:30-1:30 p.m. Join our ongoing weekly adult study program with Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser. For flyer, click here.
- Prescient Parshah Series Friday, March 13th, 7:30 p.m. Speaker: To be announced… – Torah Portion: Beshallach and Alan Sherman. Members of the Congregation examine lives of historically influential Jews, whose biographies parallel the content of the weekly Torah Portion. For flyer, click here.
- Seder Skills Crash Course Friday, March 20th, 7:30 p.m. Details to follow.
- Sundae Saturday Saturday, March 21st, 9:30 a.m. Make your own ice cream sundaes at Kiddush. Post Bar/Bat Mitzvah students will be offered Aliyot. Kids!!! Come and celebrate with your friends. For flyer, click here.
- Sundays with Sokol Sunday, March 22nd, 2:00 p.m. The Music of Irving Berlin: Part 1 Light refreshments, including ice cream and popcorn, will be served. For flyer, click here.
- “An Interstellar Seder” Sunday, March 22nd, 7:30 p.m. A pre-Pesach workshop for Seder leaders and participants… How does the movie “Interstellar” reflect a Jewish view of Redemption? For flyer, click here.
READ OUR PUBLICATIONS
Rabbi Prouser’s Articles
- “Dignity and Death in New Jersey” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, January 22, 2015
- “Cold Hearts and Sub-Saharan Jews” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, November 21, 2014
- “Get Your Facts First” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, September 12, 2014
- “The Heart that Feels Not Now is Dead” by by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, July 24, 2014
- “Stones with a Human Heart” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, June 19, 2014
- “Holy, Holy, Holy“ by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, Jewish Standard, May 9, 2014″
- “From Rasha, With Love” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, Jewish Standard, March 27, 2014
- An Open Letter to Shadrach Levi Mugoya by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, Jewish Standard, February 2014
- The Gettysburg Address with Haftara Trope text, as arranged by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser
Rabbi Prouser’s Blog: “Initial Instructions”
- Initial Instructions: A weekly translation celebrating the Book of Genesis - in lipogram!
A lipogram is a composition from which the writer rejects all words that contain a certain letter or letters. “Initial Instructions” renders all of Genesis, translating directly from the Hebrew, without a single use of the letter E. Be sure to subscribe on the blog to receive notification of weekly chapters!
Rabbi Prouser’s Sermons
- Remembering Gilad, Eyal, and Naftali, sermon by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, July 4, 2014
- On the Canonization of John XXIII and John Paul II”
sermon by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, May 3, 2014
- Memorial Tribute to Ariel Sharon sermon by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, January 18, 2014
TENJ in the Media
- “Franklin Lakes Rabbi Recites Gettysburg Address in Hebrew For Presidents Day” [audio of recitation included] by John C. Ensslin, The Record, February 17, 2015
- “Build Me A Sanctuary: Franklin Lakes Shul to Examine the Tabernacle’s Specs from Many Directions” by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, January 30, 2015
- “Original Instructions: Local Rabbi Spins Torah Using Using Orthographic Constraints” by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, October 24, 2014
- “Privacy vs. the Right to Know: Looking at Privacy, Politicians, and Power in Franklin Lakes” by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, October 17, 2014
- “Why, Then, Oh Why Can’t I?: Slichot Services in Franklin Lakes to Begin with Cabaret” by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, September 12, 2014
- “To Tell the Truth?“ by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, May 25, 2014
- Birth of Freedom: Franklin Lakes Rabbi Chants Gettysburg Address in Hebrew by Joanne Palmer, Jewish Standard, February 2014
- AMC Series as Morality Play: Emanuel Panel to Discuss ‘Walking Dead’ Issues by Joanne Palmer, Jewish Standard, November 2013
- Read about the recovery of the stained glass windows from our former home in Paterson on NorthJersey.com
- Did you miss Joe Yudin’s talk on ‘The Arab Revolution, Israel & the Peace Process: What Lies Ahead?’ Read about it in “Former Israeli Paratrooper Brings Perspective to Current Mid-East Turmoil” in the Wyckoff Patch, March 2011
Of Interest to Our Community
- PM Netanyahu’s Speech at the United Nations General Assembly, September 29, 2014
TENJ Events: Photos and Videos
- Photos from TENJ’s Second Annual Presidents Day Service 2015
- Photos from TENJ’s Gala Honoring Rabbi Joseph and Dr. Ora Horn Prouser, June 8, 2014
- Photos from TENJ’s Purim Celebration 2014
- Photos from TENJ’s President’s Day Celebration 2014
- The Gettysburg Address with Haftara Trope video edited by Reid Paul, from TENJ’s President’s Day Celebration 2014
Interested in learning more about our community? Are you an alum of Temple Emanuel? Sign up for our e-newsletter, The eManuel. Contact the office to subscribe!