Welcome to Temple Emanuel of North Jersey!
Temple Emanuel of North Jersey is a community that welcomes participants from all backgrounds and ages. Our community is the heart and soul of our congregation. We value individual spiritual growth, Jewish learning, and acting in the world to make it a better place. Our prayer services are traditional, egalitarian, and Conservative, in which Jewish men and women participate equally. We encourage interfaith families to join us and become a part of our community. Our membership includes individuals and families from Bergen and Passaic Counties, New York, and beyond.
Our synagogue is located in Franklin Lakes overlooking the beautiful Franklin Lakes Nature Preserve.
- Prescient Parshah Series Friday, January 30th, 7:30 p.m. Speaker: Caren Levine – Torah Portion: Beshallach and Alan Sherman. Members of the Congregation examine lives of historically influential Jews, whose biographies parallel the content of the weekly Torah Portion. For flyer, click here.
- “Taking the Trauma out of Terumah”: Finding Spiritual Meaning in the Biblical Blueprints of the Jewish People’s first Sanctuary. Sunday, February 1st, 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. Engineers, Designers and FengShui experts offer fresh perspectives on the building instructions in the Book of Exodus. For flyer, click here.
- Gabbai Boot Camp Sunday, February 1st, 7:30 pm Master the liturgy, ritual, protocol, etiquette, history, and choreography of the Shabbat and Festival Torah Service in all its detail and permutations. Post-Bar/Bat Mitzvah youth also welcome!! Classes will be held Sunday evenings. For flyer, click here.
- Hilchot Chagim Monday, February 2nd, 12:30 -1:30 p.m. Join our ongoing weekly adult study program with Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser. For flyer, click here.
- First Friday Shabbat Dinner Friday, February 6th , Services at 6:30 p.m. Dinner to follow. $20 per adult, $8 per child 6-13, children under 5 are free. Maximum charge per family is $55.00. Please R.S.V.P. by Wednesday, February 4th. For flyer, click here.
- Oneg with Ora” Friday, February 13th, 7:30 p.m. Professor Ora Horn Prouser leads a study session during the Oneg Shabbat which follows the services. Innovative approaches to understanding the Bible will be presented. Next topic: To be announced… For flyer, click here.
- Second Annual Presidents Day Service Monday, February 16th, 8:00 – 9:15 a.m. Services will feature The Gettysburg Address translated into Hebrew and chanted as a Haftarah!! Light breakfast to follow. For flyer, click here.
- Sundae Saturday Saturday, February 21st, 9:30 a.m. Make your own ice cream sundaes at Kiddush. Post Bar/Bat Mitzvah students will be offered Aliyot. Kids!!! Come and celebrate with your friends. For flyer, click here.
- 9th of Adar Observance Shabbat Evening Services Friday, February 27th, 7:30 p.m. TENJ will be observing the Ninth of Adar (not wil a Fast – prohibited on Shabbat by both Hillel and Shammai!) but by studying these celebrated Sages, Study Partners and Rivals… and with an ORIGINAL Ninth of Adar Liturgy. Oneg Shabbat to follow. For flyer, click here.
- “An Interstellar Seder” Sunday, March 22nd, 7:30 p.m. A pre-Pesach workshop for Seder leaders and participants… How does the movie “Interstellar” reflect a Jewish view of Redemption? For flyer, click here.
- There will be no Sundays with Sokol in January and February 2015. Please check back for the next scheduled date in March.
READ OUR PUBLICATIONS
Rabbi Prouser’s Articles
- “Cold Hearts and Sub-Saharan Jews” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, November 21, 2014
- “Get Your Facts First” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, September 12, 2014
- “The Heart that Feels Not Now is Dead” by by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, July 24, 2014
- “Stones with a Human Heart” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, The Jewish Standard, June 19, 2014
- “Holy, Holy, Holy“ by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, Jewish Standard, May 9, 2014″
- “From Rasha, With Love” by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, Jewish Standard, March 27, 2014
- An Open Letter to Shadrach Levi Mugoya by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, Jewish Standard, February 2014
- The Gettysburg Address with Haftara Trope text, as arranged by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser
Rabbi Prouser’s Blog: “Initial Instructions”
- Initial Instructions: A weekly translation celebrating the Book of Genesis - in lipogram!
A lipogram is a composition from which the writer rejects all words that contain a certain letter or letters. “Initial Instructions” renders all of Genesis, translating directly from the Hebrew, without a single use of the letter E. Be sure to subscribe on the blog to receive notification of weekly chapters!
Rabbi Prouser’s Sermons
- Remembering Gilad, Eyal, and Naftali, sermon by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, July 4, 2014
- On the Canonization of John XXIII and John Paul II”
sermon by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, May 3, 2014
- Memorial Tribute to Ariel Sharon sermon by Rabbi Joseph H. Prouser, January 18, 2014
TENJ in the Media
- “Original Instructions: Local Rabbi Spins Torah Using Using Orthographic Constraints” by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, October 24, 2014
- “Privacy vs. the Right to Know: Looking at Privacy, Politicians, and Power in Franklin Lakes” by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, October 17, 2014
- “Why, Then, Oh Why Can’t I?: Slichot Services in Franklin Lakes to Begin with Cabaret” by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, September 12, 2014
- “To Tell the Truth?“ by Joanne Palmer, The Jewish Standard, May 25, 2014
- Birth of Freedom: Franklin Lakes Rabbi Chants Gettysburg Address in Hebrew by Joanne Palmer, Jewish Standard, February 2014
- AMC Series as Morality Play: Emanuel Panel to Discuss ‘Walking Dead’ Issues by Joanne Palmer, Jewish Standard, November 2013
- Read about the recovery of the stained glass windows from our former home in Paterson on NorthJersey.com
- Did you miss Joe Yudin’s talk on ‘The Arab Revolution, Israel & the Peace Process: What Lies Ahead?’ Read about it in “Former Israeli Paratrooper Brings Perspective to Current Mid-East Turmoil” in the Wyckoff Patch, March 2011
Of Interest to Our Community
- PM Netanyahu’s Speech at the United Nations General Assembly, September 29, 2014
TENJ Events: Photos and Videos
- Photos from TENJFL’s Gala Honoring Rabbi Joseph and Dr. Ora Horn Prouser, June 8, 2014
- Photos from TENJ’s Purim Celebration 2014
- Photos from TENJ’s President’s Day Celebration 2014
- The Gettysburg Address with Haftara Trope video edited by Reid Paul, from TENJ’s President’s Day Celebration 2014
Interested in learning more about our community? Are you an alum of Temple Emanuel? Sign up for our e-newsletter, The eManuel. Contact the office to subscribe!